Sweet Potato Stew with Swiss Chard
This recipe came from Toni Fioré at DeliciousTV.com. It’s one of my favorites!
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 c. diced yellow onion
- 1 t. salt
- 1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 red Thai or jalapeño pepper minced, with the seeds (adjust to suit your taste)
- 1 T. fresh ginger
- 1 t. ground coriander
- ½ t. turmeric
- 1 14 oz. can full fat coconut milk
- 1 bunch of swiss chard (about 4 cups loose), chiffonade
- ¼ c. cilantro
- Squeeze of lime, for garnish
In a large saucepan, warm the oil over medium heat, then add the onion and a bit of salt. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes. Add the sweet potato, garlic, pepper, ginger, and spices and sauté for another minute or two. Add 2 cups of water, the coconut milk, and a bit more salt. Bring everything to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, add the chard, and continue cooking for 8-10 minutes or until the chard is tender. Thin the stew with water if it seems too thick.
Spoon over rice, quinoa, or other cooked grain of your choice or just have it as soup. Wonderful served with a side of cornbread.