Tofu Coconut Cream Pie
Orginal recipe by Toni Fiore at DeliciousTV.com. We just love her stuff! Sweet, light, vegan, and practically guilt-free, this pie is absolutely delicious. You can also use the basic idea to make a great key lime pie.
For the crust:
- 1 pkg. graham crackers (12-14 crackers – this is usually one of the wax paper wrapped blocks of crackers)
- 2 T. sugar
- 6 T. vegan margarine
For the filling:
- ½ c. plus 2 T. toasted shredded coconut (reserve 2 T.)
- 1 14-oz. package firm tofu, drained and rinsed
- ¼ c. light brown sugar (very lightly packed) or pure cane sugar
- 2-3 T. coconut milk*
- 1/8 t. Vanilla extract (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350. In a small pan, melt the margarine. In a food processor, process the crackers and sugar. Place the dry mixture in a bowl and drizzle in the melted margarine, mix well, and press into a 9 inch spring form pan. Bake the crust for 15 minutes, then remove it from the oven, and allow it cool.
- Sprinkle the shredded coconut on a lined baking sheet and toast it in the oven until it’s light brown. Keep an eye on it, because coconut can burn very quickly. Remove the toasted pieces from the oven and place them in a bowl, fluffing the coconut if needed.
- In a food processor, purée the tofu until smooth. Add the sugar, coconut milk, vanilla, and 8 tablespoons of the coconut. Process on high for about 10 seconds, then pour the mixture into the pre-baked shell, and top with the remaining toasted coconut. Chill the pie for two hours, or overnight. This pie keeps for up to a week in the refrigerator – but it usually gets eaten long before that.
- This recipe may also be prepared in a square or rectangular pan and cut into individual squares for a great party treat.
*Sweetened coconut milk is, of course, sweeter and has a more intense coconut flavor, however unsweetened works just as well. Try it both ways and see which you prefer.