Roasted Beets with Curry Dressing
by Toni Fiori
- 6 medium beets
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Scrub, trim, and wrap beets individually in foil.
- Place the wrapped beets in a shallow pan and roast until tender, about 30-45 minutes depending upon the size of your beets. To test doneness, a sharp kitchen paring knife should pierce through the foil easily. Set the beets aside to cool.
- Unwrap the cooled beets and rub away the skins, then slice them into wedges and place into a serving dish.
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 T. vegan (or dairy) yogurt
- 2 T. vegan mayo
- 4 t. curry powder
- 3 T. fresh lemon juice
- 10 T. olive oil (about 1/3-1/2 C.)
- 4 T. chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Put all dressing ingredients except the oil into a bowl and whisk to combine. Now whisk in the oil to emulsify.
- Spoon the curry dressing over the beets, sprinkle with chopped cilantro, and serve at room temperature.
Some people don’t like to prepare fresh beets because of the staining juices, but wearing latex or vinyl gloves will protect your hands and preparing the beets on a covered surface will protect your cutting board. I often roast beets without wrapping and use them skin included. Whatever method you use, beets are well worth the effort.