Lena’s Favorite Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cup sucanat
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening (or Earth Balance)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup of Sunspire chocolate chips (no processed sugar, no dairy, good brand)
- 1 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat sucanat, shortening, water, egg, and vanilla until creamy.
- Add oats, flour baking soda and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Add nuts and chocolate chips. Mix until combined.
- Use 1.5 inch (2 Tablespoon) stainless scoop to put cookie dough on prepared cookie sheet*. (or spoon, hands, etc. if you don’t have a scoop).
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until light golden brown.
- Let cool for 1 minute before removing from pan.
*I like to line my cookie sheets with parchment. Easier clean up AND I can slide the entire sheet of parchment cookies and all onto the counter and reuse the cookie sheet immediately for the next batch. Or you can grease the cookie sheet.