Tomato and Garlic Sauce
- 5 large beefsteak tomatoes
- 4 whole garlic heads
- 1 medium onion
- 2 green peppers
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- Fresh purple basil
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Wash tomatoes and remove stem and scoop out seeds and pulp. Set aside.
- Spray casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Rough chop one of the tomatoes, onion and pepper place in dish.
- Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Nestle tomatoes on top.
- Place one tablespoon of paste inside each tomato.
- Add 3 basil leaves and flowers on top of paste.
- Wash whole garlic and cut off top only to expose. Place inside tomatoes.
- Drizzle with more olive, salt and pepper.
- Cover with foil and bake 1 hour. Test garlic (should be soft if you pinch a clove) If not cover and cook until soft.
- Let cool a bit. Squeeze garlic out into casserole dish. Can be placed in a large bowl and use an emulsifier or in the blender 1/2 a batch at a time. Blend to desired smoothness.
Yields approximately 6-8 cups