Warm Sausage Spinach Salad
Adapted from Rick Bayless – One Plate at a Time
- 8 ounces chicken sausage, casing removed, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons light-flavored vinegar (rice vinegar is very good here)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- An 8-to-9 ounce package (about 8 cups) salad spinach, long stems removed
- 1/2 small jícama, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- In a very large skillet, cook the chorizo over medium heat for 4 or 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and continue cooking until the onion has started to soften but is still crunchy, about 5 minutes.
- Create the dressing, finish the salad. To the skillet (still over medium heat), add the oil, vinegar, sugar and 2 tablespoons water. Mix well, taste and season with salt, usually about 1/2 teaspoon. Pour the warm mixture over the spinach, add the jícama, mix well and serve.