7 Layer Salad
- 1 head of lettuce (cut into bite size pieces)
- 2 cans of dark kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 batch of guacamolé (3 avocados, 2 cloves of garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 4-5 cherry tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup of diced onions (rinsed and drained)
- 1 container of cherry tomatoes (halved)
- Pepper to taste
- 6 strips of turkey bacon (cooked crisp and diced/crumbled)
- 1 can of black olives (sliced)
- Casserole dish
I have a molcajete (mortar and pestle). If you like good guacamolé and/or like to make curries get one. Crushing the ingredients instead of chopping them retains and releases the oil in the foods and they can’t be beat. It makes the best guacamolé you’ve ever had. Traditional Mexican ones are made with lava stone, but can produce grit. There are also ceramic style Japanese vessels as well as Indian types. The little marble mortal and pestle are useless. They are too smooth to hold the food still and too tiny to do much other than crush pills. Whatever type you get, go ahead and get a large one. It’s worth it. Mine is made from granite and I love it (Vasconia 4-Cup Molcajete). I bought it from Amazon.
If you don’t have a molcajete, you can use a bowl and a fork.
- Peel garlic cloves and place in molcajete. Start by tamping down on garlic with pestle to crush it and then grind it into a paste. Don’t worry about getting it perfect. There will be some pieces that aren’t completely pasted.
- Add a 4-5 cherry tomatoes and treat them the same way you did the garlic
- Cut avocados in half, remove pit and scoop out flesh with large serving spoon and add to bowl. I like to score the flesh while inside the skin with a knife so when I scoop it out, it is already in chunks.
- Add your salt
- Using the pestle, tamp down and mix until you have nice chunky guacamole.
- Set aside.
Dress the lettuce
Put lettuce in casserole dish. Add some mayonnaise to the lettuce to lightly dress it. Maybe 1/4. Toss and spread evenly in dish. Sprinkle with pepper.
Layer all other ingredients in whatever order you like on top of lettuce. I liked this order:
- Lettuce (you did this in the last step)
- Kidney beans
- Black olives
- Turkey bacon
NOTE: This is also good topped with tortilla chips.