Kevin’s Awesome® Meatloaf
This is a recipe I created after watching some cooking show I don’t remember the name of that had about thirty different meatloaf recipes on it. I took the bits I liked the best from each and made my own. People who don’t like meatloaf have loved this one. While your mileage may vary, it’s a safe bet for anyone who likes meatloaf at all. Double-awesome as a sandwich the next day!
1 small red pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed and minced (I never use just 1 clove for anything — 3 or 4 works too)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (because I like saying “extra virgin”)
2 pounds ground turkey
1 pound ground buffalo (lean ground beef if you don’t have buffalo)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 large eggs
1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt (or 2 teaspoons garlic salt)
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce (say it with me… woo-ster-shire sauce)
2 tablespoons ketchup (Heinz is best — if you personally prefer another brand, I’m sorry that you’re wrong)
enough ketchup to coat the top of the loaf thickly
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- Combine all ingredients (except for the ketchup you set aside aside for the topping… you weren’t going to throw that in too, were you?) in a large bowl and mix well.
- Place mixture into a 9×13″ baking dish and form into a low loaf by hand. No fair using a shovel.
- Top with ketchup. Try not to get any in the bottom of the pan or it’ll burn, but you can go pretty close to the edge. The ketchup will thicken before it runs. Unless you use some other, stupid brand — then you’re on your own.
- Bake for one hour and twenty minutes, or eighty minutes, if you’ve got something to do.
- Enjoy your own awesomeness at having made such a fabulous meatloaf.