Bagels – Basic and Mini
Mini-Bagel: Use any bagel recipe to create mini’s which measure about 2″ in diameter. Divide one-pound recipes into 10 to 12 pieces; divide 1½-pound recipes into 12 to 15 pieces. Shape and leave a large center hole (the holes tend to close up as the bagels rise and bake). Bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 400°F. Watch carefully that they do not get too brown.
- 1 pkg yeast
- 3 tsp dark brown sugar
- 1½ cups warm water (105°-115°)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 4 cups flour
- Dissolve yeast and 1½ tsp brown sugar in the warm water; set aside till bubbles form (about 5 minutes).
- Add the remaining brown sugar and salt and stir well.
- Add the flour, 1 cup at a time.
- Knead the dough in the bowl till smooth (about 7 minutes); the dough should retain a sheen and not appear too floury; cover bowl and set aside to rest in a warm place for 40 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, cut a thick 2″ strip from the dough; roll out the strip with the palms of your hands till it resembles a rope as thick as 2 fingers.
- Grip the right end of the strip with your right hand and loosely hold the middle of the coil with your left hand; bring the right end to the middle of the coil, stretching the dough slightly as you work; break off the bagel with your left hand; use the thumb of your right hand to pinch the bagel together.
- Place each bagel on a baking sheet and set aside in a warm place, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Drop the bagels in batches into boiling water (they must NOT touch).
- Boil on one side for 2 minutes; turn the bagels and boil on the second side for 1½ minutes (they should firm and puff up).
- Carefully remove from the water and drain for 1 minute on a rack.
- Place bagels on baking sheet and sprinkle with the desired toppings; bake for 12 minutes; turn bagels and bake till deep golden brown all over (about 7 minutes).
- Cool bagels on paper towels.